Sunday, December 14, 2008

Surprising Sunday

Christmas is upon us and I wasn't ready for the tree -- not a fan of Christmas anyway, but I'll tell you about that another day. I am sick of the "real" trees... they *shed*, they dry up (no matter how much you water them), and they are just a mess. I've been ready for an artificial tree for a long time but the girls insist on a real tree so I've let it happen (the real tree).. Gosh, one year I was so mad because the tree kept falling down (we lived on the second floor in an apartment building at the time) that after the 3rd "crashing" of the tree, I threw that 6' tree, decorations and stand included, over the back porch.. like a spear actually! It was pretty funny... but you'd have to be there or know the whole story to actually *LOL*..


So anyway.. I told the girls this year, that this was the LAST year for a real tree.. I'm buying a pre-lit artificial tree after the holidays (so I can get a good deal) ... and that's that. Plain and simple...


Today, my girls got my grandson to ask me "Grammie??? can we get a Xmas tree today?" .. I said yes.. and a week earlier than I normally let that damn tree go up but I can't refuse the grandson ... grrr.. So I gave the girls a small list of things I needed, like that cool wrapping paper cutter made by "SCOTCH" and the cool tape holder on your hand made by "SCOTCH" and some wrapping paper and a few other things - small stuff. I followed them via my bank account (as they had my debit/credit card) and saw a purchase of $49.22 and then another of $56 (and change) .. and I'm thinking - time to come home kids!!! lol

And sure enough.. here they came.. with bags and bags of "things" and .. I couldn't believe it.. a small (4.5') artificial, pre-lit xmas tree.. They *claim* that the trees they saw were not nice and overpriced (not that that ever bothered them before!) and decided to go with the fake one.. granted, smaller than I would have preferred but I said nothing.. I could see that it was bugging them when they put it together (2 pieces) and then decorated (can't fit many balls, etc on this one!).. but all worked out fine (I think).

I know my girls did this for me and I love them for it.. and they also benefit as the tree can stay up longer than usual (as I usually tear it down the day after Xmas)... Now this is Christmas :)

1 comment:

Teacher Man said...

Thanks to my dad, Christmas was not always a positive experience. I knew there was no Santa Claus from a very early age.

I enjoy Christmas with my family now, but Christmas growing up has not left me unmarked. I will never ruin my children's belief in Santa, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. But I still sometimes see them as a big lie we tell our children, and I can't understand why. Isn't childhood special enough without having to tell our children these stories?