Sunday, January 10, 2010

A New Year

Here we go again... and as Oprah Winfrey said.. "Cheers to the New Year and another chance for us to get it right."

I did what I intended and started mine out right. Started saying NO to my kids. Finally! I don't know how I let things get so out of hand, other than I love my kids, but I'm not helping them. It started with my oldest, she's 29.. We eat out once a week, and even if she's here with her boyfriend, we ask what they want and we pay for it all. They don't even offer to chip in. Well, a week ago yesterday, me and the bf were ordering at Cactus Jacks.. asked the daughter and her bf if they wanted anything (of course they did) - then told them, that we're not paying for them.. Daughter was a bit taken aback, but they paid and against their will, went to pick it up. I was proud of myself :) Sounds stupid and simple perhaps to you, but it's not to me (or her).

Daughter #2 (will be 27 in February), has a problem with her car. Needs a new catalytic converter as it won't pass inspection in February due to emissions. So rather than fix the car (no doubt it won't be cheap), she opted to go car shopping. Asked if I would co-sign (yet again) - and I would, if the deal was right. She called, all excited, found a car, 2008, with 45,000 miles, a measly 60 day warranty and the payment was the same as she has now... which she admitted, she could not really afford. Told her no, I won't sign on that. The payment is the same (can't afford it), the miles are high for a 2008 (she puts lots of miles on her vehicles) and a 60 DAY warranty?? No way in hell was a signing for that. So she's mad at me.. oh well! I'm not mad at me :)

So... I'm happy for me :)

Next will be charging the 29 year old some rent. I have an electricity bill of $190 a month now (yes it went down since the 27 year old and my grandson moved) - but it's still high! I'm not going to ask for a lot - perhaps $100 a month. Just to cover some of the electricity bill. She'll be pissed off, but you know what? If she is.. she can get her own place and see how much she gets for $100 a month. Perhaps an empty refrigerator box under the Notre Dame bridge with the other homeless people. And she has a dog (good luck finding an apartment).

So, so far.. I'm doing what I know is right (finally) - and not letting them walk all over me. Between supporting the kids and my grandson, and the home repairs that have happened recently (new roof.. ugghh.. $4200) -- I'm officially broke!! AND it sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting too old to be broke! My nest egg is gone.. I can only imagine what's going to happen when I'm really old.. I'll be kicked to the curb probably. Oh well!!!! Hopefully it's near one of those steam vents to keep me warm! ROFL!

No comments: