Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Got to get this off my chest..

My sister.. my one and only sister is married to an alcoholic.. a SEVERE, non-functioning, can't hold a job, alcoholic. He even had a kidney removed 2 years ago and was diagnosed with emphysema - has the lungs of an 80 year old (he was told) - and still smokes like a chimney (he's my age, 51).. well they both do (smoke a lot), so neither one can help the other. When he tries to dry out, she drinks in front of him. Their 19 year old son lives at home, no job, won't look for a job, and calls my sister at work (she works with me so I hear this crap) and bitches if she doesn't leave cigarettes for him when she leaves for work. There is also a 12 year old in the family. She's smoking cigarettes too, and skipping school already. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as big brother was and isn't a great role model and her parents suck too.

So all I hear at work is how broke they are. How she can't buy food, how she can't pay the fuel bill, how is she going to get to work - she has no gas for the car, etc etc etc. I won't give them money because I know what they will do with it - booze, cigarettes and probably pot for the father and son team. For quite awhile we've been having my sister come over to our house like once a month and pretty much letting her take whatever she wanted from the freezer, etc. Steaks, chicken, frozen pizzas, cheese, canned goods, toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, soap, etc.. (we buy in bulk and it only meant we had to go and stock up again...but we were helping - making sure they always had food and paper goods). She was basically doing her groceries here.

Oh.. My sister has been driving with an expired drivers license for over 2 years now (it cost $50 for a 5 year license - "can't afford it"). Has been driving a car with NO insurance on it whatsoever!!! Nope, not even liability ("can't afford it"). She keeps getting a flat on the passenger side, needs a new rim or a good used one ("can't afford it")... and she needs that rim because she drives on it when it goes flat (DUH). Has a problem with the engine in the car .. something about the radiator stuff going into the engine or something.. I don't know as I half listen a lot but.. not getting fixed "can't afford it".

So a week ago Saturday, she asked me to do her taxes. Of course I do (not sure when she can't do them herself as she has a computer, but whatever... I do them every year). On Friday, 2/5, the money was in the bank - $3100. I told her that we would take her to Sams and SHE could do some "bulk" shopping, and reminded her that she could finally get her license and perhaps pay a few weeks rent ahead ($200/week) - fix the car and save a little bit for later.

Well so far, she has the cable bill caught up - not sure how much she owed them but I know she's been making weekly payments (must have HBO and Cinemax and Showtime -- ALL the pay channels which is approximately $200 a month to have), spent about $300 on groceries (not bulk - but bagel bites and hot pockets.. all the quick frozen food type things). Bought the son a couple of pet FROGS..yes, FROGS (because he wanted them) and tonight, she is buying a brand new computer!!!! That $3K will be gone by the weekend (if not sooner) and it will be back to listening to how broke they are... GOD HELP ME PLEASE. I could scream right about now..

So not renewing her license, not fixing the car, not getting insurance, not getting ahead on rent, not doing the bulk groceries .. just staying in the same friggin' hole BUT with frozen junk food and a new computer and some dumbass frogs, cigarettes, booze and pot.

And she wonders why I don't "feel bad" .. ???????????????????

No comments: